Thursday, April 14, 2016

"I Know the Inner Mysteries of Past, Present, and I Shall Attain to the Future"

"The Dimension Twister."
By Hugh King Harris (?-?).
First appearance: Wonder Stories, April 1933.
Short short short story (4 pages).
Online at SFFAudio HERE (PDF) and Comic Book Plus HERE (set page selector to 88).
"A scientific detective tale"
How mad can a mad scientist get? In their only known adventure, Forbs and Wycks are about to find out . . .

Principal characters:
~ Kent Forbs, B.S., M.C., Ph.L.:
   "His dark, deep-set eyes glowed with that curious fire flaring when his inner spirit of research was aroused."
~ Stan Wycks:
   "Wycks flashed his light about, darting rays up among festoons of cobwebs, then across that pit of death."
~ Ungar:
   ". . . some so-called matter contains infinitely more electrons and atoms per molecule than others. I have listened to the sound of these electrons as they revolve, with mad rapidity. I have counted them. But I have not gone far enough . . ."
~ Quayle:
   "He said he intended to explore my brain, turn my talents into his own mind."

Typos: "from the graves of Egytian dead"; "Forbs eyes narowed"; "he was scarce breathing"; "sought the gun gressing his side"; "Wyck's took a step"; "I know he clugged you."

Resources:
- Harris's extremely anemic F&SF bibliography is at the ISFDb HERE.
- If, after reading "The Dimension Twister," you still haven't had enough of mad scientists, there's an Amazon Kindle Megapack loaded with them HERE.

The bottom line: "I was a dog in a past life. Really. I'll be walking down the street and dogs will do a sort of double take. Like, 'Hey, I know him'."
William H. Macy

No comments:

Post a Comment