Monday, April 30, 2018

"Look Here, Gov'nor, If Yer Wants to Save Yer Neck Just Go Quietly"

"A Midnight Adventure."
By J. O. Thomas (?-?).
First appearance: Time, December 1889.
Short story (10 pages).
Online at Archive.org (HERE).

"At this instant the thought darted through my brain that I might leave a clue by which I could track these criminals to their lair if I were fortunate enough to escape with my life."
Our unnamed narrator has a frightful time of it when some ruffians lay rough hands upon him; where's Toby when you need him?
Comment: Like a lot of Victorian sensation fiction of the Casebook School (see HERE), this one purports to be a true story, but we doubt it.

Resources:
- Whoever J. O. Thomas (man? woman?) was and whatever became of him or her remains a mystery right up to this very minute.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment